Liver congestion and swelling

swollen back, rash, Lymph node fibrosclerosis, Immunodificient Limb, DVT, venous insufficiency, inflammation, inflammatory response, bone fractures

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Liver congestion and swelling

Postby Kim » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:04 pm

I haven't been on here for quite a while. Pat, how are you doing?

For the past year, I have been having more and more liver congestion and swelling. The swelling in the right side of my chest is getting worse and worse, actually lifting the rib cage causing real pressure. I see my therapist weekly, and she continues to work on that area, along with the rest of my body (systemic LE). Tests have been done...blood tests, ultrasound and MRI of chest/abdominal areas, EKG, and all show nothing at all. So we are left with...this is further progression of LE. But is it?

Questions:
Anyone else experience anything like this?
Is this just further progression of LE?
Any suggestions?

Any thoughts or experiences shared would be appreciated.

Best to everyone,
Kim
Kim

Re: Liver congestion and swelling

Postby patoco » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:38 am

Hi Kim

Good to hear from you stranger :!: :!: But not so glad to hear of you having difficulties.

If you have had all those other tests and everything else has been ruled out, I would say it may well be a p[rogression of the lymphedema. If the right side lymphatics in the chest stop functioning then you may have extensive swelling.

This happened to me starting in 2006. My right side lymphatics and the thoracic duct lymphatics basically shut down. I would up with several tubes in me so I could even drain the lung fluids every three days. BTW, keep check on oyur lungs to make sure this doesn't start happening to you.

In addition to what you therapist does, be sure you do lots of breathing exercises and ab/chest exercises. you therapist should be able to show you lots of those that may help in fluid movement.

Kim, while diuretics are contraindicated for lymphedema, my fluid got so bad that it was use diuretics or kick the bucket. So, I have also been on them for several years. I hate it, but in my case it was a life saving necessity.

Don't be such a stranger - let me know how you are doing.

Super best to you to :!: :!: :!:

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Re: Liver congestion and swelling

Postby Kim » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:22 pm

Hi Pat,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I've stayed on top of doing those ab/chest/breathing exercises and drinking lots of water. It doesn't seem to help much, but I guess there would be even more fluid back-up without. I have been on a low diuretic dose for quite a few years as part of my BP meds. Like you, I hate taking it, but it's a have to. I will keep watch on my lungs, thanks.

The rate that lymphedema has taken over my entire body is pretty scary. In 7.5 years from normal to where I am now is quite overwhelming and alarming. What does the future hold? Guess it doesn't do any good to worry over it; what will be will be. Just have to keep going and be proactive, right! :)

Thanks again for getting back to me. You are appreciated! :D
Kim
Kim

Return to Complications of Lymphedema