Surgery to remove varicose veins

swollen back, rash, Lymph node fibrosclerosis, Immunodificient Limb, DVT, venous insufficiency, inflammation, inflammatory response, bone fractures

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Surgery to remove varicose veins

Postby rosie » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:14 pm

Recently, I had two seperate surgeries to remove varicose veins on my left leg; I've had Primary Lymphedema in that leg for 26 years. I'm happy to report that they were both successful. No severe pain or infection. I did have thrombosis from the last surgery, which was somewhat painful. I also learned that you still have to take care of the lymphedema post-op, otherwise your limb will swell and be painful. In hindsight, I would have taken more time to rest and recover before going back to work. Yet, my leg has healed within a couple of weeks, and walking was recommended. What a difference this has been! I feel so much better now!!!

My vascular surgeon is Jennifer Svahn, in New York City; I highly recommend her as she is knowledgable about Lymphedema and very conscientious and uplifting. She says "I'm going to look fabu in my swimsuit." I need all the injections of confidence I can get.
rosie

Re: Surgery to remove varicose veins

Postby patoco » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:55 am

Hey Rosie

Thanks for the update :!: :!: :)

We are always encouraged to hear such good results and especially to hear of another doctor that some of us may be able to go to.

The real key in so many of the procedures is how we handle our lymphedema, while at the same time going through another type of extremely intrusive medical care. Keeping the swelling down as much as possible and being sure it doesn't get an infection are the two focal points there as well.

Now grab that swim suit and start flapping those fins :wink:

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby Suzie » Sun May 08, 2011 1:28 am

Hey Rosie, Suzie here. lol

May I ask you what type of surgery you had?

I have two problems and I need advice. I have chronic venous insufficiency or venous reflux disease in the saphenous veins of both legs AND primary lymphedema. I feel so cursed. My right leg is more problematic. I wear compression hose, 30-40 daily. But for two years, I have been dragging my feet in any other treatment for either. But now I feel I have to take charge cos the right leg hurts me so much when I stand all day at my job. I would love to quit but cant do that. My left leg, doenst hurt at all. I am stage 2 in right leg, stage 1 in left.

The procedure my surgeon advises is venous closure. A catheter is inserted into vein and it releases heat which destroys my saphenous vein or shuts it down. Blood is then rerouted to other healthier veins. I need LE treatment too and I havent seen a therapist yet, only talked to her on phone. She says I should do it as long as it doesnt harm my superficial lymphatics, whatever that is. Sorry. My surgeon says no it doesnt harm.

So feeling very sad and confused and so cursed. lol Just wondering what kind of surgery you had. Thanks for any input and glad you are doing well.

Suzie
Suzie

Postby rosie » Fri May 20, 2011 3:29 pm

Hi Suzie,
Sorry to keep you waiting. I had "Ambulatory/Stab Phlebectomy: ropey, swollen, unsightly, painful branch veins are removed in an ambulatory surgery setting (or occasionally in the doctor's office) by making small "stab" incisions over the veins and removing them with small clamps or special hook devices. Depending on the extent of the problem, this is performed using local, spinal or light general anesthesia" and "Injection Sclerotherapy: using a tiny needle and requiring no anesthesia, sclerosing chemical agents are injected into tiny blue/purple spider veins. The sclerosant acts as an irritant and causes the small unsightly vessels to eventually close off thereby improving the appearance of the legs. This procedure takes 15 - 30 minutes to perform in the doctor's office. Many patients will require several sessions to achieve the desired effect. Most people will still develop more spider veins in the future. Sclerotherapy may not be covered by many insurance plans as it is usually considered "cosmetic." (From Dr. Jennifer Svahn's website:http://www.drjennifersvahn.com/).

You should be able to have the procedure that I had done and receive therapy for lymphedema concurrently. I can relate with you about putting it off and worrying about the potential for harm (infection) but, there are consequences to keeping varicose veins, like blood clots. The vein is not functioning and your Lymphedema may be improved by having the procedure that your doctor suggested. It will be a little more swollen immediately after the procedure, but it should heal and go down after a couple of weeks.

Good luck and best wishes,
Rosie
rosie

Return to Complications of Lymphedema