lymphedema pain

swollen back, rash, Lymph node fibrosclerosis, Immunodificient Limb, DVT, venous insufficiency, inflammation, inflammatory response, bone fractures

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

lymphedema pain

Postby Susanht » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:13 pm

I have had lymphedema since 1999 and had several severe swelling episodes at first but now I have slight swelling and deep pain that develops in my upper arm. I had radiation after a lumpectomy which basically sealed the nodes under my left arm. I am not sure how to deal with this. I have seen a wonderful therapist in the past and would have to pay for massage since my deductable is very high and would like to know if there is something else I could do to help. I do have a sleeve but it doesn't help with the pain.
Susanht

Re: lymphedema pain

Postby ma1290 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:28 pm

How long have you had pain? Whenever someone with lymphedema says they have pain the first question to ask is if it might be infected. Is it warm or red?
ma1290

Re: lymphedema pain

Postby patoco » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:48 am

Hi Susan and Adam

Adam, bro......so incredibly good to hear from you too!!!!!!!

In your case, Susan, I do agree with Adam in that the pain you are experiencing, especially if it is deep could be caused by
an infection. So it is critical that it be checked out first.

Check your symptoms too for infections - general achiness and/or the deep pain, if the area is read or pink, hot etc.

Also, have your therapist teach you lymph node stimulation, self massage, arm exercises and breathing exerecises. Those can all help with the swelling.

If it isn't infection, scarring and even nerve compression from intense swelling can cause terrible pain and it could be that the pain is from that. If you can keep the swelling down, that should lesson the pain.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Complications of Lymphedema